INFORM Human Rights Documentation Centre
14 December 2016 10:59 am
Email: [email protected]
INFORM was established in 1990 to monitor and document the human rights situation in Sri Lanka, especially in the context of the ethnic conflict and civil war. We work by reporting on the situation through written and oral interventions at the local, national and international level, rights advocacy and awareness building work, including work on policy change. Presently, INFORM focuses on Freedom of Expression (FoE), protection of human rights defenders (HRDs) and lobbying and advocacy on the promotion of human rights and accountability in Sri Lanka.
INFORM has been a key constituent in election monitoring and media freedom work at the national level; is involved with the Centre for Monitoring Election Violence (CMEV), and the Free Media Movement (FMM).
INFORM has been working with NGOs and HRD networks, collaborating with local activists, groups and networks as well as regional (Asian) and international human rights networks, focusing on rights of specific groups such as with families of enforced disappearances, women’s rights, rights of lesbians, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, media organisations, trade unions, academics etc.
INFORM is one of the two member organisations from Sri Lanka of the Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA) and closely associated with its activities, and has also served on its Executive
Committee. It has maintained close links with HRDs and national level human rights organisations in Asian countries, including several regional women’s rights organisations.
INFORM has been associated for a number of years with international women’s rights movement on global campaigns and advocacy on women’s rights. It was a founding member of the International coalition on Women HRDs and was the primary host of the first International Consultation on Women HRDs in 2005. INFORM has also worked closely with leading international human rights organisations such as Amnesty International (AI), Human Rights Watch (HRW), International Crisis Group (ICG), International Service for Human Rights (ISHR), Front Line Defenders (FLD) and FORUM-ASIA.
Areas of work:
• Protection for HRDs,
• Monitoring and documentation of human rights situation in Sri Lanka,
• Promotion of human rights and accountability in Sri Lanka, and
• Transitional justice.
Main lines of work:
• Safety and protection of human rights defenders (HRDs) including emergency support, physical protection, legal assistance, advice and mentoring and submitting urgent appeals on behalf of HRDs,
• Lobbying and advocacy on the promotion of human rights and accountability locally and internationally,
• Monitoring progress and support for pursuing justice for cases
involving HRDs both domestically and internationally,
• Discussion and awareness raising on human rights, and protection of HRDs, and matters affecting HRDs and transitional justice amongst HRDs, and
• Documentation and dissemination of information on human rights situation in Sri Lanka.
Udaya Kalupathirana: [email protected]Address:
237/22, Vijaya Kumaratunga Mw, Colombo 05. Sri Lanka