Call for Applications: 4th Glocal Advocacy Leadership in Asia Academy (GALA Academy)
8 April 2016 10:49 am
The Glocal Advocacy Leadership in Asia (GALA) Academy is a joint initiative by three leading regional civil society networks working in the field of human rights, development, and democracy in Asia – namely, the Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA), Asia Development Alliance (ADA), and Asia Democracy Network (ADN)- with the aim to strengthen the international advocacy capacity of mid- and high-level staff in CSOs and thereby facilitate second-tier leadership for strategic “glocal (global and local)” actions on key human rights, development and democracy issues as well as related regional and international processes. The GALA Academy is also part of continued endeavors by human rights, democracy, and development CSOs in the region to meaningfully activate intrinsic linkages between the agendas of the three communities.
The 4th session of the GALA Academy builds on the experiences of the previous 3 sessions, which have taken place since 2013. This time it will still be held in Bangkok, Thailand, for 8 full days from 10-17 August 2016 with FORUM-ASIA as the local host.
The general objective of the GALA Academy is to enhance the capacity of the next generation of CSO leaders in Asia, who will play a crucial and constructive role in the national, regional, and international advocacy on human rights, development, and democracy.
By the end of the weeklong training, participants are expected to have attained the following specific objectives: 1) better understanding of the international policy-agenda and processes related to human rights, development, and democracy in the context of the implementation of the UN 2030 Agenda on sustainable development known as Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); 2) improved strategic and critical thinking by linking global discourses and local contexts; and 3) enhanced collaboration among CSOs in the region in developing cross-sectoral advocacy action plans based on collective analysis.
About 30 participants are expected to participate in the 4th session of the GALA Academy. The selection criteria for participants are:
- Full time mid-or high-level staff in a national, sub-regional (South, Southeast, and Northeast Asia) or regional NGO/CSO in Asia;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the field of policy and advocacy on development, human rights or/and democracy;
- Commitment to working in the same organisation at least until the end of 2017;
- Sufficient knowledge and experiences related to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), democracy-related issues and/or national/ regional/ UN human rights mechanisms;
- Timely and satisfactory completion and submission of (preparatory) home-assignments; and
- Ability to communicate in English (both spoken and written).
- Consistency in the application of knowledge and skills gained during GALA Academy to their organisation; and
- Role and commitment in the implementation of the SDGs at (sub) national and international levels.
- Completed Applications must be submitted on or before 30 April 2016
- The brochure and the forms can be also downloaded from one of these three websites:
- Short-listed applicants will be informed on or before 10 May 2016 by email.
- Some applicants may be interviewed over Skype or phone during the short-listing process.
- Short-listed applicants will receive rounds of questionnaires and reading materials for homework prior to the actual training.
- The final determination of successful participants will be done in July after the successful completion of the homework