Strengthening the Human Rights Council @10 – Public discussion and civil society paper launch
7 June 2016 1:42 pm
Tuesday 7 June 2016
Palais des Nations, Library Events Room ( B135) , Building B, Door 20, 1st Floor
The Permanent Mission of Ireland to the UN in Geneva and the International Service for Human Rights (ISHR) welcome you to a special public discussion on the occasion of the Human Rights Council’s 10th anniversary, and ahead of the Council’s 32nd session.
At 10 years, the UN’s peak human rights body should move to become more accessible to rights holders, more protective for victims of human rights violations, and more effective in holding States and non-State actors to account. The focus of the event will be on civil society proposals to strengthen the Council in this regard, and will officially launch a joint NGO paper detailing these recommendations.
- Patricia O’Brien, Ambassador of Ireland
- Ebenezer Appreku, Deputy Permanent Representative of Ghana
- R. Iniyan Ilango, Manager UN Advocacy, FORUM-ASIA
- Laila Matar, UN Advocate, Human Rights Watch
- Michael Ineichen, Director of Human Rights Council Advocacy, ISHR
Follow the event on Twitter through #HRCat10