HRC34 Side Event – The Philippines’ Third Universal Periodic Review
8 March 2017 5:29 pm
Date: Wednesday 15 March 2017
Time: 15:00 – 16:30
Venue: Room XXV, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
FORUM-ASIA along with Misereor, Aktionsbündnis Menschenrechte – Philippinen, Franciscans International, World Council of Churches, World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), United Evangelical Mission and Evangelisches Werk für Diakonie und Entwicklung have organised a side-event in conjunction with the 34th session of the Human Rights Council.
In preparation of the Philippines’ upcoming third UPR, the parallel event will take stock of the country’s current human rights situation and assess the implementation of key recommendations made during the last review. Special attention will be paid to the new administrations ‘War on drugs’, the situation of human rights defenders, abuses in the context of mining projects, and the problem of impunity.
- Dr. Nymia Pimentel Simbulan, PhilRights, Manila
- Bishop Reuel Marigza, United Church of Christ in the Philippines (UCCP), Manila
- Atty. Mario Maderazo, Philippine-Misereor Partnership Inc. (PMPI), Manila
- Johannes Icking, Aktionsbündnis Menschenrechte – Philippinen (AMP), Cologne
- Gerald Staberock, OMCT, Geneva