Internship Announcement: South Asia Programme Intern
9 March 2017 5:57 pm
Position: South Asia Programme Intern
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Internship Duration: 6 Months, starting from 3 April 2017
Remuneration: A modest stipend of $450 each month
Closing Date: 19 March 2017, midnight Bangkok Time (UTC+7)
Interview Dates: From 20 March 2017
About the Organisation
The Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA) is a membership-based regional human rights organisation founded in 1991 with the mission to promote and protect all human rights, including the right to development, through collaboration and cooperation between human rights defenders and organisations in Asia.
With 58 member organisations across 19 countries in Asia, FORUM-ASIA works on a wide range of issues related to human rights, democracy, and the right to development. Its regional secretariat is located in Bangkok, Thailand, and has offices in Jakarta, Geneva, and Kathmandu.
FORUM-ASIA is committed to building a peaceful, just, equitable and ecologically sustainable community of peoples and societies in Asia where all human rights of all individuals, groups and peoples—in particular, poor, marginalised and discriminated people—are fully respected and realised in accordance with internationally accepted human rights norms and standards. FORUM-ASIA advocates human rights issues through engagement with governments, inter-governmental organisations and the United Nations for the better promotion and protection of all human rights.
FORUM-ASIA has special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
General Tasks and Activities of Internship
Monitor human rights situation in area of work;
Support research into human rights issues and conduct mapping of various human rights issues;
Assist in programme work/ documentation/compilation/administrative work;
Assist in organising or preparing for campaigns or events;
Qualifications and requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in international law, human rights, political/social sciences, communications or other relevant field;
- Some practical knowledge about international human rights standards, mechanisms and practices;
- Strong interest in human rights issues in the Asian region;
- Some experience in organising or planning meetings/conferences or campaigning;
- Good drafting and research skills;
- Excellent level of written and spoken English;
- Strong communication skills;
- Familiar or experience in online communications and background in website management an asset;
- Ability to multi-task, solve problems, and work in a multicultural team;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet team deadlines.
Interested applicants must submit the following:
- Completed Internship Application Form;
- A resume and cover letter (both in .PDF files) explaining why you are interested in the position.
Complete applications should be sent to FORUM-ASIA at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com before 19 March 2017, midnight Bangkok time (UTC+7), with subject: Application for ICP Internship. Late applications will not be considered.