HRC35 Side Event: Strengthening Corporate Accountability in Supply Chains
5 June 2017 4:42 pm
Date: Friday, 9 June 2017
Time: 15:30 – 17:00
Venue: Room VIII, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA), KTNC Watch, International Service for Human Rights (ISHR) and Good Electronics are organising a side event based on the presentation by the UN Working Group on Business and Human Rights of their country visit reports of South Korea and Mexico. This event will be an important opportunity to review challenges, discuss the recommendations of the Working Group, and strategise about ways to promote their implementation.
Programme Agenda (moderator from ISHR)
- Youngsin Kim, methanol poisoning victim in a third-tier supplier for Samsung Electronics in South Korea, following a short video on the case.
- Michael Addo, chair of the UN Working Group on Business and Human Rights.
- Occupational health and safety issue in supply chains:
- Donghyun Kim (attorney at law, KTNC Watch) on the lack of remedies for industrial health and safety cases in supply chains.
- Freedom of assembly in supply chains:
- Taewook Kim (attorney at law, KCTU Legal Center) on union busting in a first-tier supplier to Hyundai Motors-Mexico situation.
- Elena Villabuerte (ProDESC).
- Measures to improve corporate accountability in supply chains:
- Kirstine Drew (TUAC) on OECD Guidelines and Due Diligence.
Floor Discussion (Q&A)