The Marrakech Declaration
21 October 2019 5:56 pm
The 13th International Conference of the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI) took place in Marrakech, Morocco, from 10 to 12 October 2018. The theme of the Conference was ‘Expanding the civic space and promoting and protecting Human Rights Defenders, with a specific focus on women: The role of National Human Rights Institutions.’
Around 200 representatives participated in the conference, including NHRIs, networks, CSOs, human rights defenders and relevant bodies.
The Conference concluded with the adoption of ‘The Marrakech Declaration,’ which sets out a strategy and actions for NHRIs, GANHRI and regional networks to ensure the impact of the conference outcomes are long term, including a roadmap for regional action plans.
The Declaration identifies a number of activities to guide NHRIs in strengthening their promotional and protection activities, as well as reinforcing cooperation and partnerships. Among other commitments, NHRIs resolved to:
- Contribute to the establishment of national protection systems for human rights defenders, which requires an enabling environment accessible and inclusive;
- Raise awareness and support States in the implementation of the UN Declaration of Human Rights Defenders;
- Advance positive narratives on the importance of human rights and the legitimate role of human rights defenders, in particular women human rights defenders;
- Interact with human rights defenders and civil society in a regular manner and support the development and strengthening of national and regional defenders’ networks;
- Set-up efficient and robust early warning mechanisms and focal points within NHRIs; and
- Interact with the international and regional human rights systems in support of human rights defenders, and monitor follow-up and implementation of recommendations.
The Declaration also encourages GANHRI, its regional networks, and all NHRIs to collaborate in mutual capacity building and sharing of experiences and knowledge, including by the elaboration of regional action plans to follow-up on this Declaration and the establishment of a mechanism on human rights defenders within GANHRI.
The Marrakech Declaration can be downloaded here.
Source: Marrakech Declaration