Webinar: The ASEAN Community and COVID-19 – An Assessment of an Infected Region’s Present and Future Conditions
9 April 2020 9:54 pm
An Online Discussion on the ASEAN Community and COVID-19: An Assessment of an Infected Region’s Present and Future Condition
Time: 2 – 4pm (GMT +7)
Date: 13 April 2020
- Dr. Sriprapha Petcharamesree, Former Thai Representative to the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR) and Programme Chair, SHAPE-SEA
- H.E. Yuyun Wahyuningrum, Indonesian Representative to the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR)
- Dr. Deasy Simandjuntak, Associate Fellow at ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute, Singapore, and Visiting Fellow at Academia Sinica, Taipei
- Mr. Thet Swe Win, Executive Director Synergy – Social Harmony Organization, and Co-Founder of Myanmar COVID-19 Response Center
- Dr. Lee Edson P. Yarcia, JD, Health Law and Policy Reform Consultant, Philippines.
Moderated by Mr. Joel Mark Baysa-Barredo, Programme Director, SHAPE-SEA
ASEAN as a regional body has been carefully responding to COVID-19 pandemic, focusing on information dissemination and promotion of preventive measures. Given the alarming rise in number of cases in the region, such soft approaches have frustrated skeptics, who have been calling for more strategic, impactful, rights-based and action-oriented responses to the pandemic.
Topics to be explored include the relevance of ASEAN, as a regional organisation, in light of political, social, and economic downturns caused by COVID-19 pandemic. Discussions shall be centered around the strengths, weaknesses and potential reforms for ASEAN, specifically its sectoral bodies on human rights and health.
This session aims to gather insights on ASEAN’s regional response, discuss recommendations to improve its mechanisms and mobilise collective action for civil society to hold ASEAN accountable in a time of a global crisis.
This webinar is the second in a six-part webinar series on the Status of Human Rights in the time of COVID-19 Pandemic in Southeast Asia.