Webinar: COVID-19 and the Need for Radical Changes in the Public Health System in South Asia
29 June 2020 5:37 pm
An online discussion on the ‘COVID-19 and the Need for Radical Changes in the Public Health System in South Asia’
South Asia is home to almost one-fourth of the world’s population, while South Asian countries spend less than four per cent of their GDP on health – only one-third of the world average public health expenditure.
The low public health expenditure in the region led to poor access to basic sanitation, medical services, and reproductive health care, and it is putting people’ right to health at risk during the COVID-19 pandemic.
This webinar is the fifth of a six-part webinar series on the ‘State of Human Rights in the Time of COVID-19 Pandemic in South Asia’, organised by FORUM-ASIA and the South Asia Alliance for Poverty Eradication (SAAPE)
The webinar will explore:
- The current state of public health systems in South Asian countries and States’s responses to the pandemic;
- Actions state and non-state actors can initiate to ensure the universal right to health in their pandemic responses;
- What South Asian Governments should do to facilitate an effective and coordinated regional response to this crisis;
- The role of social movements and civil society to ensure the right to health for all in the region.
Date: 1 July 2020
Time: 3.00 – 4.30 pm (Nepal time)
Click to register or join the webinar directly here.
All interested individuals are invited to participate in the webinar. However, priority will be given to registered individuals should the webinar exceed quota of participants. The webinar will also be live streamed on FORUM-ASIA’s Facebook page.
- Syed Hussain Anosh, Executive Director, Civil Society and Human Rights Network (CSHRN), Afghanistan.
- Dr Rashid-E-Mahbub, Chairperson, National Committee on Health Rights Movement, Bangladesh
- Dr Renu Adhikari, Chairperson, National Alliance of Women Human Rights Defenders, Nepal
- Haroon Baloch, Programme Manager, Bytes for all, Pakistan
Closing remarks will be given by Debendra Prasad Adhikari, South Asia Programme Manager, FORUM-ASIA.
The webinar will be moderated by Farooq Tariq, SAAPE advisor